Learning a new language can be fun and challenging at the same time. Here are six steps that will help accelerate your language learning.
1. Understanding is the most important thing in learning a language, not memorization. You need to study to understand. This is different than just listening. As you listen you need to understand the words and meanings of what is being said. Don’t move on until you get the understanding of the words and the lesson. After you get this meaning it is time to move on to the next lesson.
2. Study at a time and in a place where you can concentrate on the material at hand. This can differ depending on the person. One person can listen and understand while walking, jogging or driving. Another person may find that he must study alone and in a very private place. Know yourself well enough to know what works best for you and then be sure that you consistently follow the same routine that will give you the best results. Effective study is hard work.
3. Study in time increments that keep you fresh. Many people find that when studying a language a 30 minute time period works the best. You focus so intently that trying to go for a longer period of time does not work very well. Be sure to keep your study periods to approximately 30 minutes. Then give yourself a rest until the next day.
4. Study your language each day, every day. Push yourself to keep going. You learn little by little and as time goes on you start to understand your new language and the pieces start to fit together.
5. It is important to try and use what you have learned. Take every chance to say words and phrases to others. You will never learn to speak a new language by just saying things to yourself. Studying a language is not just reading and memorizing, although it encompasses both. You need to use every chance to speak the language in order to acquire that language.
6. Studying is like a job. With time and effort and attention, you can learn to speak the language well. You must learn to think like a native speaker. Learning occurs with repeated practice.
Follow these 6 basic steps and you will quickly be on your way to learning a new language.
Are you ready to learn a new language? Try Pimsleur Method languages courses to quickly and effectively learn to speak a new language. Visit PimsleurMethod.com for more details.